Don't be fooled by the employment statistics the main reason why
people come to college is to get their parents off their back. Why else
did everyone you know from high school in Vegas come to the University of
Nevada, even though it's in Reno? Because they hate their parents, as all
healthy post-adolescents do. Everyone who stayed at UNLV, well, they'll
never really grow up. Just look what they did to that cannon.
There's a lot of good tactics to get your parents off your back. Remember
the "eight ways to say no" that you learned back in D.A.R.E. in
fifth grade? Well even though they didn't work to keep you off drugs, they
can work to help you say "No" when your parents call you everyday.
Here's a quick reminder:
1. Say "No Thanks" : "Thanks, Mom, but I'd rather not
talk to you."
2. Give an excuse or a Reason: "Oh, I'd love to talk Dad, but Juniper
Hall is on fire."
3. Broken Record: "No Mom. No Mom. Mom, no. Mom, no. No, Mom. No."
4. Walk Away: Say "Hold on one second," and then leave the
phone hanging and go to the library.
5. Change the Subject: "Why haven't I called you? Uh... hey, did
I tell you I got an A in WT?"
6. Avoid the Situation: Unplug your phone
7. Cold Shoulder: Don't answer your phone
8. Strength in Numbers: "Mom, no one else talks to their parents
Keep at it. It's hard to resist your parents, but there's lots of reasons
to. It can get you in trouble, it can make you sick, it can even land you
in jail. DARE to avoid your parents, and Just Say No.